Lemon Treacle Slice – if you have not tried it you really must!! I have been watching the series “Gordon Ramsey behind bars”, and was instantly interested in finding out how to re-create the main featured recipe in his series..Which was the Lemon Treacle Slice.
It looked lovely, with a digestive butter base, and a rich sweet tart filling.
It looked amazing and i just really wanted to give it a try. The recipe is well explained and straightforward to follow. I found the recipe along with the picture on the Channel 4 website.
The lemon treacle slice recipe created by Gordon Ramsay is a new favorate of mine, its very very sweet, a nice soft consistanceywith a slight sharp taste of tangy lemon
“Gordon Ramsay made this sticky, sweet treat for Caffé Nero with the help of some prisoners in Gordon Behind Bars”.
My tip: Make sure you crumb the bread enough, mine had a few larger pieces in lol
Makes around 8-10 bars
For the base
- 300g digestive biscuits
- 150g butter
For the topping
- 675g golden syrup
- 90g butter
- 100ml double cream
- 225g white breadcrumbs
- 5 egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Lemon curd
For the glaze
- 50g icing sugar
- juice of 1 lemon juice
- To make the base, pre-heat the oven to 160oC, fan 140oC, gas mark 3.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth crumb.
- Melt the butter, then stir into the biscuits. Press the biscuit mixture firmly into the base of a 20cm square tin which has been lined with baking parchment. Allow to chill for at least half an hour.
- To make the topping, put the golden syrup into a saucepan along with the butter and allow to melt gently without boiling.
- Once the butter has melted take the pan off the heat and stir in the cream, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice. Stir well.
- Once the base has cooled, spread the lemon curd onto the base. Pour over the breadcrumb filling and then place into the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into rectangular slices.
- To glaze the slices, mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a thick paste. Place it into a piping bag and pipe onto the top of your bars, or drizzle the glaze over with a spoon.